Most vehicle systems, like seat belts and airbags, are engineered specifically for adult sized persons. These systems are not designed to accommodate children, so other steps must be taken to keep your child or infant safe in the car. Safety is extremely important to Iowa Chevy Dealers, and Pat McGrath Chevyland is proud to sell some of the safest vehicles on the market. Vehicles like the Chevy Malibu, Equinox, and Cruze have all been chosen as Top Safety Picks for 2012 by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety. In spite of their safe rating, parents are still expected to know how to properly secure their children inside of a vehicle. The following tips will help in keeping your child safe in case of an accident.
Important Tips to Follow For Child Vehicle Safety
- Seat belts are designed for individuals at least 4 foot 9 inches tall and weigh between 80-100lbs and above. Children usually reach this size around the ages of 8-12 years. Before they reach this size, children should use a booster seat when riding in a vehicle.
- Booster seats simply work by “boosting” your child up to the correct height where a seat belt can protect them.
- Seat belts are designed to be worn across the chest at all times. Never let a child put their seat belt behind their backs, under both of their arms, or in a way that the seat belt wasn’t meant to be used. This dramatically reduces the seat belt’s ability to save them in case of an accident or even a sudden stop.
- Your child is ready for a safety belt when they meet the weight limit and a large enough that the lower belt rests on their hip, the shoulder belt lays on the collar bone and shoulder, and their knees bend at the edge of the seat.
- SafeKids.org provides a comprehensive list of guidelines to follow for keeping your kids safe.
Learn More about How Chevy Keeps Passengers Safe at Pat McGrath Chevyland
Our knowledgeable sales staff can share with you the details about Chevy vehicles’ safety systems as well as all the other great features. Please don’t hesitate to get in contact with us. We’re located at 1600 51st Street NE in Cedar Rapids. We look forward to helping you keep your family safe!