General Motors, maker of Chevrolet vehicles, has announced an investment of nearly $1.3 billion dollars to upgrade plants across 3 different states.
According to a press release from GM, the investments will create or retain around 1,000 jobs.
General Motors Continues the Momentum
With the recent announcement, GM has invested about $10.1 billion in its U.S. operations since 2009, with $2.8 billion in 2013 alone, creating or retaining a total of 26,500 American jobs.
A large portion of the investment will go towards production of a recently-developed 10-speed transmission, which was a joint project between Ford and General Motors.
Another major part of the investment will go towards a new V6 engine. Specific details for both the 10- speed gearbox and V6 engine will be announced later.
Leaders at GM have hailed the move as a positive step for American manufacturing, continuing the momentum that GM and other automakers have built over the past years.
General Motors VP Mark Reuss said that “these investments add up to higher quality and more fuel-efficient vehicle” for drivers across the country.
“GM is committed to a strong American manufacturing base and creating jobs in dozens of communities throughout the country. (These) plant upgrades continue the momentum of a resurgent auto industry.” – Mark Reuss, GM Vice President
The recent $1.3 billion investment will be divided among 5 different locations:
- Flint Assembly, Flint, Mich: $600 million to upgrade facilities, including a new paint shop
- Romulus Engine, Romulus, Mich: $493.4 million to produce 10-speed transmissions and increase V6 engine capacity
- Detroit-Hamtramck, Detroit, Mich: $121 million for a new logistics optimization center
- Toledo Powertrain, Toledo, Ohio: $30.6 million to increase capacity for 6-speed transmissions and tooling
- Bedford Powertrain, Bedford, Indiana: $29.2 million to produce components for both the 10 and 6-speed transmissions
Proudly Serving Iowa City and Cedar Rapids
If you have any questions about our inventory, fill out a Contact Form and we’ll reach out to you with more information.