Car Theft Prevention Tips
When it comes to reliable Chevy dealers in Iowa, our customers trust us to provide them with the best, most pertinent information about their auto needs. At Pat McGrath Chevyland, our customers are our number one priority. We care about your satisfaction, but more importantly, your safety. Car theft and break-ins are still a serious problem, so here are a few tips on how to prevent these terrible occurrences and keep both you and your vehicle secure.
Be a Vigilant Car-Owner
Even though the number of auto break-ins is continuously going down, you should still be concerned about the safety of your vehicle. Here are some ways you can promote car theft prevention:
- Lock your car. This may seem like common sense, but a reminder here and there never hurts. Locked car doors are a deterrent from car thieves continuing the job.
- Take your keys. Never leave your keys in the car when you walk away from it, especially if they are still in the ignition. And never leave your vehicle running while it’s unattended.
- Close the windows. Thieves can fit a coat hanger through a window that’s open even a sliver in order to unlock the door. Close the windows all the way when you car is unattended, even when it’s hot and humid outside.
- Hide your valuables. Don’t leave your valuable possessions – especially electronic items – lying out in plain sight. Visible items act as bait for thieves. Take portable electronic devices, like MP3 players, out of the car with you.
- Park smart. If you cannot park your vehicle in a garage, try to find a well-lit public place to park. Driveways and curbside spots must be the last resort.
- Show you have an alarm. It’s one thing to have an alarm installed in your vehicle. It’s another thing to make that alarm visible. A car alarm will deter a thief from even trying to break in if they can see a blinking light or something that signifies the system.
Visit Pat McGrath Chevyland for More Information
To have a car alarm installed or to ask any other questions about auto safety, take a look at our Facebook page, give us a call, or stop by the dealership. We want to make sure your car-buying and car-owning experiences are the best they can be.